Roof ventilation and insulation are key to a properly functioning house
An important factor in roof system durability is proper ventilation. Proper attic ventilation prevents heat and moisture build up and prevents structural damage caused by moisture. Without it, it would cause rafters and sheathing to deteriorate, shingles to buckle and most insulation would lose its effectiveness. Proper ventilation increases roofing material longevity, lowers energy consumption and enhances comfort levels in the entire home as well as in multi-unit buildings.
A properly constructed attic has free air flow, insulation and ventilation and consists of the following:
- Has at least an inch between the insulation and roof sheathing;
- Has open spaces to allow air to pass in and out;
- Has a gap-free layer of insulation on the attic floor to minimize heat gain or loss;
- Has a vapor retarder underneath the insulation to stop moisture from reaching the attic.
Owens Corning Duration Roof Shingles with ProEdge Hip & Ridge Vent In Arlington Heights, IL
Yes, roofing problems can have a detrimental effect on roofing systems:
- Sun:Heat and ultraviolet rays cause roofing materials to deteriorate.
- Wind: High winds can lift roofing materials and force water and debris underneath.
- Rain: When water gets underneath shingles, it can cause the roof structure to rot. Moisture encourages mildew and rot, including walls, ceilings, insulation and electrical systems.
- Snow and ice: Ice dams block drainage into the gutter. Water backs up under roofing materials and may seep into the interior.
- Condensation: Builds up from warm, moisture-laden air which promotes decay of wood sheathing and rafters and exacerbates weakening of the structure.
- Moss and algae: Moss can grow on moist wood shingles and shakes and holds moisture to a roof system's surface. Algae grows in damp, shaded areas on wood or asphalt shingle roofs and creates a black-green stain.
- Trees and leaves: Touching branches will scratch and gouge roofing materials especially when they are blown by the wind. Falling branches can damage, even puncture, roofing materials. Leaves stuck in gutters block drainage.
- Missing or torn shingles: Missing, worn, lose, split, deteriorated or torn shingles allow water to enter through the roof’s structure and cause damage.
- Flashing deterioration: Most roof leaks are really flashing leaks. Roof flashing should be tight, especially around chimneys, vents, skylights and wall/roof junctions.
Roof systems should be checked as part of a bi-annual roof inspection and gutter cleaning.
How can we help you be prepared?
- By preventing damage by conducting a regular inspection;
- By providing repairs when required, or;
- By installing a new roof system when needed.
Providing top-rated brands, such as GAF, Owens Corning and Davinci, roof consultation services as well as our roof design concepts, all mean you do not have to worry because we have you covered with all of your exterior home improvement needs.
Contact us at (630) 581-7322 to schedule a hassle-free, in-home consultation. Also, you may complete our online inquiry form.